Monday, August 18, 2008

Bittersweet



This week a sweet old friend of mine will be driving one of her precious girls to college for the first time, depositing her in a whole new life and beginning a new era for their family. Knowing that child for years now, I am confident that the school will be blessed just by her presence, not to mention her brilliant mind and tender heart. That said, I don't like to think about the drive home for my friend, or the adjustment of the coming days.

We moms are charged with the task of putting ourselves out of a job from the moment of conception. Thinking of this joy coupled with heartache prompted me to look up an old poem that I had tucked away for that inevitable time when we will begin to empty our own nest. Scribbled next to it is the name "Martha Snell Nicholson". Whether the writing truly originated with her or not, I have no way of knowing. Sorry Martha. The beauty pictured to the left is my S., our first fledgling.

As Any Mother To The Savior:

As Thou didst walk the lanes of Galilee,

So, loving Savior, walk with her for me,

For since the years have passed and she is grown,

I cannot follow, she must walk alone.

Be Thou my feet that I have had to stay,

For Thou canst comrade her on every way;

Be Thou my voice when sinful things allure,

Pleading with her to choose those which endure.

Be Thou my hands that would keep hers in mine,

And all things else that mothers must resign.

When she was little, I could walk and guide,

But now I pray that Thou be at her side.

As Thy blessed mother folded Thee,

So, loving Savior, fold my girl for me.

No comments: